A viable curriculum is one that guarantees that the curriculum being taught is the curriculum being assessed. Essential content is the knowledge and skills that students need to know, understand, and are able to do in order to succeed in school.
The term curriculum is viewed in two different ways: the macro and the micro. The macro curriculum refers to curricular programs while the micro curriculum refers to subjects.
The 《Chinese》 textbook was written in 1996 by Chinese Language School of Jinan University for overseas Chinese students of “Weekend Chinese Schools” in Europe and North America. There are 12 books in total. The purpose of this textbook is to enable students to learn, and obtain the basic ability to listen, speak, read and write in Mandarin Chinese and understand the general knowledge of the Chinese culture.
Starting from the age of primary school students, living environment and psychological characteristics of the teaching objects, scientifically arrange the words, words, sentences, chapters and other content of the textbooks, step by step to set up home works, in order to learn from each other, apply what they have learned, and cultivate students’ learning. Interest, inspire students to think positively and improve their ability to use Chinese. At the same time, it compiled from many other overseas Chinese textbooks and teaching experiences, and strives to achieve the unity of teaching and training, learning and use, and in terms of content and style, graphic layout, question type design and teaching concept. Innovative.
If you want to learn Chinese, a suitable Chinese textbook is, without a doubt, necessary. Different learners have various needs, and the best textbooks are the ones that are relevant and interesting to you. At UAA, we believe that with classroom setup combine and individual focusing is the most effective way of learning Chinese language.
如果你想学习中文，毫无疑问，合适的中文教科书是必要的。 不同的学习者有各种各样的需求，最好的教科书是那些与你相关和有趣的教材。 在环球中文学校，我们相信通过课堂和个人投入是学习中文的最有效的方式。
Selection of Subject Matter and Content
The selection of subject matter for micro curriculum employs the key criteria which govern the instruction.
- Self-sufficiency – To help learners attain maximum self-sufficiency in the most economical manner is the main guiding principle of subject matter or content selection. Although the economy of learning implies less teaching effort and less use of educational resources, students gain more results. They can cope up with the learning outcomes effectively. This criterion means that students should be given a chance to experiment, observe, and do field study. This system allows them to learn independently. 自足 – 这个标准意味着学生应该允许他们独立学习。
- Significance – The subject matter is significant if it is selected and organized for the development of learning activities, skills, processes, and attitude. It also develops the three domains of learning namely the cognitive, affective and psychomotor skills and considers the cultural aspects of the learners. Particularly, if students come from different cultural backgrounds, the subject matter must be culture-sensitive. 课程内容或体材的重要性 – 特别是，如果学生来自不同的文化背景，那么内容必须具有文化敏感性。
- Validity – Validity refers to the authenticity of the subject matter the teachers selected. Make sure that the topics are not obsolete. The school need to check regularly the subject matter or contents of the curriculum, and replace it if necessary. 有效性是指教师选择的课程内容的真实性。 确保课程内容或体材不会过时。 学校需要定期检查课程的内容或体材，并在必要时更换。
- Interest – it is true to the learner-centered curriculum. Students learn best if the subject matter is meaningful to them. It becomes meaningful if they are interested in it. However, if the curriculum is subject-centered, teachers have no choice but to finish the pacing schedule religiously and only teach what is in the book. This approach explains why many fail in the subject.兴趣 – 如果课程内容对学生有意义，他们将学得最好。 他们的兴趣，才会变成有意义的。
- Utility – Another criterion is the usefulness of the content. Students think that the subject are not important to them. They view it useless. As a result, they do not study. 效用 – 另一个标准是课程内容的有用性。
- Learnability – The subject matter or content must be within the schema of the learners. It should be within their experiences. Teachers should apply theories in the psychology of learning to know how subjects are presented, sequenced, and organized to maximize the learning capacity of the students. 可学习性 – 课程的内容必须在学生的经历之内。 教师应该运用学习心理学中的理论来了解科目的安排组织等，以最大限度地提高学生的学习能力。
- Feasibility – Feasibility means full implementation of the subject matter. It should consider the real situation of the school, the families, and the society in general. Students must learn within the allowable time and the use of resources available. Do not give them a topic that is impossible to finish. 可行性 – 应该考虑学校，家庭和整个社会的真实情况。学生必须在允许的时间和可用资源的使用范围内学习。
In conclusion, the school administration and teachers are either directly or indirectly involved in the selection of subject-matter.